- “You Really Got a Hold On Me” by She & Him (I could listen to this on repeat for hours. Hours! and you can too — check out the video below!)
- “Just Breathe” by Willie Nelson (Willie covering Pearl Jam = awesome)
- “Wild Horses” by Chantal Kreviazuk (a beautiful acoustic piano version of the Rolling Stones tune)
- “Killing in the Name” and “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Tyrone Wells (Tyrone’s a local guy, one of my favorite singers and I love seeing him live. He’s got two shows coming up – here’s more info).
- “Call Me Maybe” by MacKenzie from The Voice — this guy makes the song sound beachy and like something I’m not afraid to be caught listening to. That’s saying something!
- “Sea of Love” by Cat Power
- Use Somebody — both Tyrone Wells and Paramore have done great covers of this popular song.
- “One Fine Day” by Natalie Merchant, a lovely and slow cover of The Chiffons uptempo original.
- Ray LaMontagne smoothed out and slowed down the sass from “Crazy” by Gnarls Barkley.
- “How You Like Me Now” by Tona Lucca, one of my favorites from season 2 of The Voice he also covered Britney Spears’ “Baby One More Time” and a cleaned-up-for-tv version of Jay-Z’s “99 Problems” (though on that one, I like the original way better). See the perfomance here.
[Note: this video version of She & Him seems to be a bit rushed (at least more so than their album version Volume One, which I prefer)]
There are a million other great covers out there — check out Esquire’s huge list! — and I’m looking forward to hearing your favorites.