In less than a week, we’ll be on a plane and I’m certainly hoping we’ll have time for exploring and experiencing what the east coast has to offer during our next few months in Virginia. I hear that early fall is a beautiful time to be there (and not too crazy temperature wise, which is important for me and the sanity of my curly tresses) so I’ve started doing some research on towns, exhibits, museums, and things to do while we’re there in between all the working and planning and training. If you have any must-see or -do’s to add to our list, please let me know!
- Tour George Washington’s plantation estate, Mt. Vernon.
- Explore the Smithsonian Museum(s).
- Dip our toes in the Atlantic while sunbathing in Virginia Beach.
- Watch Dark Knight Rises in IMAX at the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center.
- Catch some Civil War Battle Reenactments a la Gilmore Girls! (did you know more battles took place in Virginia during the Civil War than in any other state? you do now!).
- Sip and Savor Virginia’s best wines — we’ll have more than 200 wineries and breweries to choose from, plus a winery you can kayak to…how fun!
- Delight in the magnificent architecture and history of Colonial Williamsburg.
- Celebrate the Heritage Harvest Festival at Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello. (did you know Thomas Jefferson was America’s first “foodie?” me either!)
- Take in the scenic views of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Blue Ridge Parkway – supposedly America’s favorite drive! 🙂
- Walk the grounds of the first English settlement in Jamestowne.
- Stay at the Colonial Williamsburg Resort, celebrating 75 years of southern hospitality!
- Take a drive to feast on crab in Maryland (yum! might have to do that more than once!).
3 thoughts on “Virginia is for Lovers List”
I will need a recap as all of these activities please!
I am so envious of your list! This looks like so much fun!
Hello! I’ve been following your web site for a long time now and finally got the courage to go ahead and give you a shout out from Humble Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the fantastic work!