Hi there, friends! I’m so excited that The Voice is back becuase it gives me something to look forward to on Monday nights until The Bachelorette begins in a few months. Do you watch? I’m always super impressed with the talent and hearing some of the triumphant stories of overcoming obstacles to pursue dreams. I usually end up downloading a bunch of songs on iTunes after the show, and this past Monday I was also pleasantly pleased with the performance the four coaches did to kick off the show, including the two newbies: Shakira and Usher. I do miss Cee-Lo (and his animals), though; he’s such a character!
Here are some of my favorite performances from the first week of blind auditions:
The one that gave me chills (for all the 90′s kids!):
The most surprising (this guy totally reminds me of Ashton Kutcher in this performance):
The most entertaining (their duo name is “Midas Whale” which they say came about when one asked the other if he wanted to start a duo and his reply was “might as well…” ha!):
Who are your favorites so far? What do you think of the new coaches?
You may recognize a few Citizen Cope songs from radio, tv and commercials. Mumbles and I saw one of his shows at House of Blues Anaheim a few years ago and it was incredible — he has super passionate fans that love his music and he sounds amazing live. Here are some of my favorite songs:
Son’s Gonna Rise
Bullet and a Target
If There’s Love
Let the Drummer Kick
Here are some of my favorites for cloudy days and general crankiness…
- “Madness” by Muse
- “Concrete Wall” by Zee Avi
- “Secret” by The Pierces (discovered during an episode of Gossip Girl — also check out their song “Boring” which is similarly dark and sarcastic)
- “My Number” by Tegan & Sara
- “Feeling Good” by Michael Buble
- “Bullet & A Target” by Citizen Cope
- “You Know I’m No Good” by Amy Winehouse
- “All I Want” by Susie Suh
Do you have a favorite song you listen to when your mood is a little darker than usual?
I cringe every time I watch this but it’s so endearing and actually, he’s pretty darn good!
Have you ever really put yourself out there or done something embarrassing?
Cheers to being brave!
Hi, friends! I hope you’re enjoying this Christmas and celebrating with special people in your life. I’ve been listening to this Christmas Party Playlist from last year on repeat so thought I’d share it again in case you’re looking for some last-minute Christmas music. Don’t forget my new favorite Christmas tune from Grace Potter and take a few moments to watch the incredible stomp-style performance of Little Drummer Boy below – it’s one of my absolute favorites!
Christmas Party Playlist
- Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas She & Him
- No Christmas for Me Zee Avi
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer Jack Johnson
- Santa Baby Kellie Pickler
- All I Want for Christmas Matt Costa
- Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree Brenda Lee
- Let It Be Christmas Alan Jackson
- All I Want for Christmas Is You Mariah Carey
- Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Let it Snow! Dean Martin
- How Great Thou Art Carrie Underwood
Also, I really wanted to share this video from Saddleback Church. Mumbles and I saw this performed live at church a few years ago – it gave me chills to watch and hear and sing and I feel the same way everytime I watch it now (which is often). I love the stillness and innocence of the song paired with the stomp-style dramatic rhythym. Please enjoy Little Drummer Boy:
From my family to yours: Merry Christmas!